Encouraging kids to be active and healthy can often be a challenge when all mom and dad want to do is take time out to put up their feet and relax. Equally - getting the kids to put down the iPad or turn off the TV is always a challenge but getting active as a family doesn’t have to be as tough as it seems - the trick is finding activities that everyone will love! There is nothing the little ones love more than getting Mom and Dad involved in a family activity so we’ve got some ideas that are perfect for an active morning.
- 1. Trampolining is the latest craze with jump parks springing up all over the country. Get the kids up and out for a morning of old school family fun that’s great for improving balance & fitness without putting too much strain on the joints. And the best part - 10 minutes jumping on a trampoline burns roughly the same number of calories as a 30-minute run - what’s not to love!
- 2. Ice Skating is loads of fun for everyone! If you are taking the little ones, make sure you book a stabilizer as well which helps alleviate too many bumps and bangs. Like trampolining, ice-skating is easy on the joints because it’s low impact, and helps improve balance and coordination. You use a lot of small stabilizer muscles that don’t get a workout in day-to-day life, in particular those around your hips, knees and ankles. Strengthening those small muscles helps you in other activities and at the same time you are also toning the muscles in your legs, butt and core as you propel yourself on the ice. The best part - the kids will have a blast and won’t feel like you’ve dragged them out to exercise.
- 3. Cycling is always a fun family activity and is one of those things that can be done almost anywhere. If you are cycling around the neighborhood it’s also a great opportunity to teach the kids some road safety rules at the same time and of course - don’t forget your helmets and water bottles!
- 4. Let’s go on a treasure hunt! Talk a walk along the beach and pick up shells. Make it fun and see who can collect the most or who can find the biggest shell.
- 5. Windy weather? Whip out the kites and head to the park! You could even make your own kite with material you find around your home.
- 6. Do you have a tarred driveway at your home? Give the kids some chalk and let them use the driveway as their canvas! They can even draw their own track for their bikes to go through or simply draw some pretty pictures. It can easily be washed away with water.
Go on…get the kids off the couch and outside having fun!