Homemade playdough for kids
To keep your kids away from the TV when they’re indoors, try setting up some games for them to do instead. There are many great indoor activities for kids and one of our favourites is homemade playdough!
It’s quick and easy to make and it provides hours of fun! The best part is it's reusable so your kids can play with it again and again.
What you'll need
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 to 5 drops of food colouring (have your kids choose which colour they’d like, this way they feel like they contributed, and they will be even more excited about playing with it)
- Step 1: Mix the flour and the salt together.
- Step 2: Then mix the 1/2 cup of warm water with a few drops of food colouring.
- Step 3: Pour the water into the flour mixture, stirring as you pour to avoid lumps. Stir until combined and then knead with your hands until the flour is absorbed completely. If the dough is too sticky, you can add more flour, but be careful not to add too much as this will then dry out your dough.
- Step 4: Hand the play dough over to your kids! You can also give them a rolling pin and cookie cutters to make shapes out of the playdough.
Be sure to keep the dough in an airtight container, so that it doesn’t dry out.
You can make as many colour batches of playdough as you want. The more the merrier, as it will keeps your kids attention for longer.
The wonderful thing about playdough is that your children’s masterpieces can be preserved – you simply have to bake their creations!
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Step 2: Place the finished playdough creation on a baking tray covered with a sheet of wax paper.
- Step 3: Pop it into the oven and leave it to bake for 5 minutes.
- Step 4: Prick it with a toothpick, if it is still soft, leave it for a little longer.
Once it’s baked, you will have a little artwork from your kids that will last forever.