Get your little ones involved with this super simple recipe!
- 250g butter, softened
- 165g castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 egg yolk
- 335g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 160g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon water
- Food colouring of your choice
- Sprinkles of your choice
- 1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC. Place the butter and castor sugar into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and castor sugar until it turns pale and creamy. Next, add in the vanilla essence and egg yolk and beat until well combined. Add in the all-purpose flour and beat until it forms a smooth dough.
- 2. Wrap the doughin cling wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- 3. Place the dough onto a floured surface and roll it out until about 5mmthick.Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can. Place the heart cookies on alightly greased baking tray and bake for 8–10 minutes or until the cookies are alight golden colour. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- 4. While the cookies cool – get started on the icing! This is where your little ones can get involved. Place the icing sugar and water into a bowl and mix until well combined. If you would like to use multiple colours, separate the icing into smaller bowls and drop in the different food colouringcolours into each bowl. Spread the icing sugar onto the heart cookies and before it sets, add on the sprinkles of your choice.