1. Steam the diced sweet potato and cauliflower florets for 8 – 10 minutes.
2. Set them aside to cool slightly. Once cooled, place the vegetables into a blender, add a teaspoon of vegetable oil and pulse until smooth.
Broccoli, Potato and Pea
100g potatoes, peeled and cubed
100g of broccoli
50g of frozen peas
1. Boil the potatoes until tender. Strain out the water, add in a teaspoon of vegetable oil and mash the cooked potatoes.
2. Boilthe broccoli and frozen peas in a separate pan. Don’t over-boil or the vegetables will lose all of their flavour. Once cooled, stain the water and blend the cooked peas and broccoli into a puree.
3. Add the puree to the mashed potato and stir until well combined.
Butternut, apple and banana
1/2 a cup of butternut, peeled and diced
1 apple, peeled,cored and diced
1 ripe banana
1. Steam the butternut and apple until soft. The butternut will take a little longer to cook than the apple, so start with it first before adding in the apples.
2. Strain the water from the butternut and apple mix before setting it aside to cool. In the meantime, mash the banana.
3. Place the cooled butternut and apples into a blender and puree until smooth. Once smooth, stir in the mashed bananas.
*Don’t have a blender? Use a masher.
*If you don’t have a steamer, simply boil the cauliflower and sweet potatoes until soft and strain out the water.
*If you’re making your purees in advance, spoon or pour your baby food purees into an ice cube tray, cover with cling wrap and store it in the freezer.
*If the texture seems too thick, you can add in a little formula, Rooibos tea, or breastmilk.